Thursday, August 19, 2010

Seeking Helpful Advice for Newly Unemployed Friend?

A good friend has recently become yet another casualty of the tough economic climate. She has been a newspaper copyeditor for the same paper for 26 years and was just laid off, with most of her coworkers. At 53, and having been at the same job for so long, it is easy to imagine how lost she feels. While I am a layoff veteran myself, it's been a couple of years since I last looked for a job and I know techniques have changed even in that short time. Can anyone provide advice for her about how to get back into the workforce?Seeking Helpful Advice for Newly Unemployed Friend?
Most unemployment departments can refer you to job or workforce clubs that are free, offer resume and job search classes and basically make you feel you are keeping your hand in on the employment front.





I used one when I left my last job and it helped me focus my efforts to find the perfect job for me...and it worked!





In my area it's through the EDD, is part of Project Workforce and the club is called Profile. Check wtih your local EDD.

No comments:

Post a Comment