Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Seeking advice on my career path?

I'm 23 and currently working on my associates degree in Broadcast Communications. I have about 20 credits to finish. For the last 7 years (because I took Audio Visual in high school) my heart was set on pursuing this as my career...but now I'm having doubts. I've decided to finish the degree because I have so little to go and then possibly pursuing something else. However, I constantly throw around ideas on what I want to do. I don't really have my heart set on one thing. Some of the career paths I have been thinking about are: teaching (high school or college; but no idea what I would want to teach) real estate; psychologist; possibly something in criminal justice (I have a kidney disease so it couldn't be a physically demanding job), or interior designer. As you can see I'm all over the place. I'd like to add that I'd rather have a career that I can enjoy and that is rewarding meaning money is not the most important factor...however, of course, I want to be financially stable.Seeking advice on my career path?
Choosing a career path can be tough. Unfortunately, we can't always know in advance what exactly we want to do. Many people embark on careers only to decide later to follow a different path. Changing careers is common, so try not to put too much pressure on yourself to pick the ';best'; career. It sounds like you are interested in many things, which means you might have to just pick something to try and see where it leads you.





You also mentioned the importance of financial stability. If you want to research salaries for different positions, there's a tool where you can type in a job title, see the career path for that job and the salaries for related job titles. It is at http://www.payscale.com/gigzig.aspx





Best of luck with your exploration. I hope you find what you are looking for!





Hope that helps,


Assistant to Dr. SalarySeeking advice on my career path?
i've felt the same way. i've been pre-pharmacy then biology, had my eyes set on business for a while, but ultimatley settled on chemistry. I realized that your education doesnt necessarily define what your career is going to be. But i would REALLY look into each of the paths you may have your eyes set on just to be sure you can count it out as a possible option.
I was a Broadcast Communication major, too. Now I own a publishing company and have over a million dollars in the bank, plus my company is making lots of money.





Hard work is the secret to success. Don't worry so much about your degree. Only computer science majors end up working in the fields they studied in college.
';Would you like me to give you a formula for success? It's quite simple, really. Double your rate of failure, You are thinking of failure as the enemy of success. But it isn't at all. You can be discouraged by failure or you can learn from it, So go ahead and make mistakes. Make all you can. Because remeber that's where you will find success.'; - Thomas J. Watson





I say go for what you originally thought try it out. Ive allways thought you can survive anything for a year. At the very least you will get good work experince out of it. and a solid foundation ontop of your degree to move on to somthing else.





Good luck!!! and definatly keep going with the degree. it doesnt really matter what it is but that you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment