Thursday, August 19, 2010

Seek Legal advice--> Car towed from the appartment parking lot?

My Car was towed yesterday from my Appartment parking lot as the sticker on the number plates were expired(registeration was expired).





I know I can get the parking ticket on expired registration, but ticket wont be that much that I had to pay to the towing company. My question is : Is it legal to tow the car for such reason? I was being told my the towing company that they have a contract with our apartment company to tow any vehicle that has expired tags.


The fact is that I had already renewed my registration online and I had got a receipt that makes my current registration valid for 15 days untill I get my new registration stickers via mail. but the towing company said that they are not DMV and doesn't recognize any document like this. Had I been ticketed I could always contest based on the receipt I got.


One more thing , I checked my aprtment welcome guide and it is nowhere mentioned that cars with expired tags are subject to tow.Seek Legal advice--%26gt; Car towed from the appartment parking lot?
You had expired tags, period. There are many other common sense things your welcome guide does not cover in detail.Seek Legal advice--%26gt; Car towed from the appartment parking lot?
I'd say take it up with the apartment management. If you point out to them that there is no such stipulation in the ';rulebooks';. If they acknowledge that, then you can either lean on them for the money back or have them lean on the towing company to give you a refund. If it's not in the rulebook then why would management have your car towed? Hence, perhaps the towing company was not supposed to tow your car in the first place. I'd at least give it a try before resigning myself to getting screwed.
You need to contact the apartment management and the towing company and after that if you think that it shouldn't have been towed you should contact the police and your states office of consumer protection. Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment