Sunday, August 22, 2010

Seeking advice/opinions on progressive lenses vs. bifocals?

I've worn bifocals for a few years and manage with them OK, but it I have to have separate glasses for the computer and it is a pain to change all the time. I've never had progressive lenses, so assume I know nothing about them. Some people seem to think they are terrible and some seem to think they are the best thing since apple pie. Any comments, suggestions, etc? Thanks.Seeking advice/opinions on progressive lenses vs. bifocals?
I don't need glasses for distance (such as driving or movies), but I do for reading and for the computer and I love my progressive lenses because they provide a lot of flexibility in what stays in focus (whereas bifocals only have two in-focus areas).





From talking at length with my optician, I really think it depends on what you need the glasses for the majority of the time. I would say it might be good for you to have a pair of glasses with progressive lenses for reading and working on the computer and a different pair just for distance (if you need that).





Having a great optician who will listen to you and talk with you about all your options helps a lot. Some opticians (and the glasses makers they work with) will also let you try your progressive lenses for a few weeks to see if they're going to work for you.





Here are two good pages that explain the details of the different types of lenses:


http://www.allaboutvision.com/lenses/pro鈥?/a>


http://www.allaboutvision.com/lenses/mul鈥?/a>Seeking advice/opinions on progressive lenses vs. bifocals?
I went straight to progressives and have been VERY disappointed. They work great for around the house, driving, etc., but are absolutely worthless for the computer. I'm looking at getting glasses made just for computer use. Think about it...the distance is further than regular reading yet too close for distance use. A good optician can do that for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment