Thursday, August 19, 2010

Seek Legal advice--> Car towed from the appartment parking lot?

My Car was towed yesterday from my Appartment parking lot as the sticker on the number plates were expired(registeration was expired).





I know I can get the parking ticket on expired registration, but ticket wont be that much that I had to pay to the towing company. My question is : Is it legal to tow the car for such reason? I was being told my the towing company that they have a contract with our apartment company to tow any vehicle that has expired tags.


The fact is that I had already renewed my registration online and I had got a receipt that makes my current registration valid for 15 days untill I get my new registration stickers via mail. but the towing company said that they are not DMV and doesn't recognize any document like this. Had I been ticketed I could always contest based on the receipt I got.


One more thing , I checked my aprtment welcome guide and it is nowhere mentioned that cars with expired tags are subject to tow.Seek Legal advice--%26gt; Car towed from the appartment parking lot?
very legal... any unregistered vehicle is not permitted on the roads, parking lots, parked near the side walk, etc.


sorry, but your car being towed was legal and at your expense.Seek Legal advice--%26gt; Car towed from the appartment parking lot?
Its pretty legal. But I question the fact that you renewed online. From my understanding, you paid your registration online and therefore up-to-date and was waiting for the sticker in the mail.Based on that information, the towing company ';assumed'; you were expired just from the sticker. I would send the bill to the building where you live with documentation backing this up, which will show them that this ';contract'; they have is not foolproof and a major inconvenience for their tenants. Most likely, you arent going to get any results from them, but you never know. But if it were me, I would make a big stink and copy EVERYONE in the building on this letter, as thi';contract'; needs to be re-examined because it causes major problems for the tenants!
yes it is legal although it can't really be enforced if its not in the contract. i used to work for a mobile home park and i towed left and right for such reasons. the towing co. has to have a contract of some sort with the apt. complex just to be on the property. oh, i just read you said the welcome guid didn't say anything. you would need to check your rental contract to find your answer. its their property, just like they may say you can't have a grill on the porch, its their right. if you choose to live there you must follow their rules. i know its sounds crazy, but that's the way it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment