Wednesday, November 23, 2011

My mother passed away in january this year and i want to know if i should go seek some professional advice?

im a very happy person. My friends think i have handled my mothers death with great strength for my age (im 20 years old). Some days are fine, and others, i cant get myself out of bed. I think about her every day. I think i am depressed, my friends don't think i am because whenever we hang out i'm my usual self. Its hard to explain, but its the worst when im alone.





Do you think a professional could help me? Do you think that i am over exaggerating?My mother passed away in january this year and i want to know if i should go seek some professional advice?
No one can help how they feel. If you feel depressed, you feel depressed. Your friends attitude toward you are their reaction to your circumstances, but they can't be sure they have figured them out accurately.





Feeling feelings is not in anyone's control. However, everyone can help how they react to their feelings. Everyone can control their behavior. Staying in bed is avoidance behavior and that, in turn, can make you feel depressed. You can control behavior. Get out of bed.





When you're alone you feel more depressed, when you're with friends you are your usual happy self. You can control behavior. Don't be alone if you can help it.





It took me years to stop mourning my mother's death, but I carried on because I knew eventually it would pass. And it does. I just sucked up the depressing feelings and chose behaviors that got me through the day. It got easier as time went on, but because memories keep coming back, it never goes away completely. I'm okay with that.





Everyone is different. My brothers didn't mourn her passing nearly as long as I did.





No, you're not over-exaggerating your feelings, but you may be over-exaggerating your choice of behaviors in reaction to those feelings. If you find that your feelings are interfering with being able to behave productively, then, yes, you should seek counseling. I can't tell for sure, but from what you have written, I don't think you need counseling.





Unless you think this behavior is counterproductive, try this: Decide what you want in regard to your situation. Write it down. Make sure it's really what you want. Then, figure out what actions, what behaviors logically will lead you to get what you have decided you want. Write it out. Follow the plan, adapt and adjust it as needed to get you to your objective (your want).





Doing this may be enough to get you back on track. I hope it does. If it doesn't, then you should seek counseling. I wish you well.My mother passed away in january this year and i want to know if i should go seek some professional advice?
Really only you knows the answer to this question. I don't think it would hurt anything if you did go. I'm sorry about your loss. My heart goes out to you. Good luck.
You're not overreacting at all. A professional could definitely help with a loss like this.
I am sorry for the loss of your mother, especially at such a young age. I just lost my dad in January as well, but I'm 42 and he was in his 70's. - still hard though.





What you are describing sounds perfectly normal for the grief process. When my husband died I always had to fill the silence with the TV or radio. Being alone is hard because your thoughts have time to creep up on you. When you are with your friends they can help lift you up and distract you.





Being that is has only been such a short time since you lost your mom, you probably are not at the point of needing professional help. UNLESS you do not have anyone to talk to. If this is something you can't talk about with your friends or family, then you do need SOMEONE to talk to.





Because of the experience of losing my husband fairly young and now my father I started a bereavement website. There is a page that lists the Stages of Bereavement.


http://www.comfort-for-bereavement.com/s鈥?/a>


maybe it would help you understand the stages of grief that all people experience. We all do it a little differently, so these are just general phases.





Hope this info is helpful. It sounds like you are doing okay given what you have gone through.
Being depressed and missed someone that u loved so much is nothing unusual.I do miss my late dad too.He passed away when I was only 11.I cant concentrate on my studies and my grades dropped drastically.At the age of 19,my mom passed away.I really feel the lost.BEing an orphan in such a young age,when people celebrating father's day or mother's day I tend to miss them more.And I burst into tears.Years past by and I can get over it.Since I have my other siblings who love me so much.But fate just happen every time,it's part and parcel of life.Every living things will die.My 2nd brother died of diabetes.I cried and could not help my tears from falling.Every secs,it reminds me on how wonderful my bro is during his life.He is there by my side,when my ex-husband left me.He sends me to court to settle my divorce case.He drives me to work when I was not feeling well.I will burst into tears whenever I missed him.And my tears keep rolling on my cheeks when I wrote this.THe only thing I can do before sleep I will read some prayers to my dad,mom and brother.I have to accept the fact that although I love them so much God loves them more.And I believe they are happy in heaven because they are wonderful people during their life.I believe ur mom too.That's the reason why u cant help thinking of her and miss her.Call out her name every time u miss her and tell her u miss her and how much u love her.She can hear every word u said to her although she's in another world.Try not to be alone,cos loneliness will make us tends to miss them more.You r only 20,life has to go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment