Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Does anyone know where I can seek free legal advice?

I'm in a bad situation.. I have a landlord who doesn't work and owes money. He presents himself as a nice person, but constantly lies and manipulates his tenents and he's a very sneaky person. I never signed a contract when I moved in and I paid him a deposit. I fear that I may not see my deposit back because I'll be moving back to NY and I'm in another state right now. He told me that he has 28 days to send back my deposit. Does anyone know what I should do. The man makes me sick to my stomach and I'm also living in an illegal commerical building which he lied about. He always has the front door locked so the fire department won't get suspicious. I can report him to the fire department if I wanted to. Does anyone have advice or know where I can seek free legal advice?Does anyone know where I can seek free legal advice?
You need an attorney with experience in landlord/tenant law. Do you live in a place where there's free renter counseling? Some metro areas have nonprofit organizations that provide free advice and counseling to tenants in your situation. You can also check Nolo.com for DIY legal resources. The situation you're in is pretty common, so don't sweat too much. If he doesn't return your deposit you can take him to small claims court, which is also an extremely common situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment